Sunday, May 31, 2015

Time Will Tell: United Bones Me Again?

I recently met with our resident Travel Goddess and asked her to change my travel profile to require (if at all possible) a minimum of one hour connection time on any connecting flights.
4 times in the last 6 months I have had flight delays that caused missed connections and other complications, and this was my attempt to mitigate these problems.

Fast forward to the present.
I'm on final into Washington DC with a connecting flight to SFO.
We pushed back from the gate in Jax right on time at 2:10, taxied to an out of the way spot and the pilot announced a ground delay from DC, and we wouldn't be leaving until 2:45.
(This is a typical airline canard to keep 'on time' statistics in their favor.)

A little basic math tells me that my next flight would be in the final stages of boarding when we arrive...
Depending on the proximity of the gates in DC, I might have as much as a 20 minute trip to get to my departing flight...
Not goo DF.

So... during the ground delay I called United and got a tentative booking on a later flight,  in case I miss this one...

I'm doing everything I can to make sure my trips are problem-free...
Why can't United do the same for me?

Film at 11.

TBG

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

I don't do anything less than 1 hour anymore... And I prefer 1 1/2 hours... The odds are MUCH more in my favor!