Monday, February 17, 2014

There's This Thing Called Irony... Perhaps You've Heard Of It?

I caught part of a current social activism program that is currently in progress on one of the cable networks, the channel I usually refer to as "NCIS Network" since that's all they seem to play- unless they are re-running one of their programs...
(I have to say I did enjoy the first couple seasons of Burn Notice, and Suits had a good start, but I couldn't keep up with them as they started to get even further and further from any kind of possible reality...)

So, last week I was noshing in the commissary -  In one of the  many program monitors that are installed in there, out of the corner of my eye I caught a segment of the current iteration of their Characters Unite program... The "I won't stand for _____ " campaign.



I saw it for a second, then tuned out.
As a rule I, try to ignore the overtly political crap here and just focus on my job...

Until I saw someone here wandering the halls with one of the program shirts...

This isn't the culprit, but it's one of these type of shirts.
Ok dumbass.
I don't know if you can comprehend this- but when you say "I won't stand for intolerance" I have to wonder if you have any kind of grasp on reality.


Really?- Because I can't believe you would try to wear this 'ironically', as a hipster might.
Because since I'm not part of your 'movement' (and when I hear that, I think 'bowel movement') the over-the-top irony just looks stupid.



Philosophically, this program (and the concept of 'tolerance' as it is being pushed these days) is asinine and self-contradictory in and of itself.
After all - shouldn't tolerance be extended to people that choose to be pig-headed, bigoted, prejudiced assholes?

If you want them to put up with you, should you be tolerant of them?

That IS want tolerance is all about... Right?



TBG- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Depends on YOUR definition of tolerance... :-) And yours is a LOT more correct...

Ben Catoe said...

Silly Ogre, the left is only tolerant of the like minded.

The Czar of Muscovy said...

I WON'T STAND FOR IRONY.

Billll said...

Death to all extremists!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Togo West (secretary of the Army a while ago) writing in the letter to the Association of the US Army (AUSA) "we will not tolerate intolerance".