Thursday, December 26, 2013

Getting Talked About

Notoriety - I doesn't need it.

I was getting some fresh towels down at the front desk last weekend...
(They don't service the rooms on Sunday. Go figger.)
Front Desk Clerk One: "For 708? Right."
Yours Truly: "Yep."
FDC1: "You're with TennisAustralia, right? What do you do for them?"
YT: "Just IT stuff- network, phones, internet..."
FDC1: "Oh..." She had a puzzled look.
YT: "Is there something wrong?"
FDC1: No...Um...You don't look techie."
YT: "I'll take that as a compliment. I think."
 - - -
Today, talking to a different FDC about an issue in the laundry room:
FDC2: "...we'll take care of that. You're in 708- You're the techie with TA?"
YT: "Yes Ma'am." She knows I'm a tech? Hmmm.
FDC2 gives me an over-the-glasses look. "Really?"
YT: "Yes... Why?"
FDC2: "Oh, no reason."
My turn for the over the glasses look.
YT: "No, now, why does everyone keep asking what I do for TA?"
She looks around, checking for eavesdroppers.
FDC2: "There's been discussion that you are a policeman."
Huh?
YT: "How's that?"
FDC2: "Just speculation. No reason."
YT: "Hmm. Nope. Not a cop. Just a tech."
FDC2: "Okay... If you say so."
YT: "Seriously. You want me to come back there and configure a router for you, or maybe crimp you a Cat-5 cable?"
FDC2: "No... I believe you."
YT: "I should hope so... But seriously, why do folks think I'm a cop?"
FDC2: "No idea. That's just the chatter."

Hmmm. Chatter about the Big Guy in 708.

I think I figured out why...


I had brought along an old issue of Concealed Carry magazine on the trip just to have something to read in case I needed a break from my iPad. I threw it on the nightstand when I cleaned out my backpack the other day looking for some odd or end in the bottom of the pack.

Mystery solved...

However...
This brings up a new idea.
I will definitely pick up some other similar reading material for my trip to Sochi;
Maybe it will make the housekeeping staff give the room a little more attention...
(Them or the Russian NSA-analog. They're probably one in the same anyway.)

TBG- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

6 comments:

jon spencer said...

Should just send them here, that ought to set them straight.
Or really get the rumors going.

Jennifer said...

Heh. Maybe experiment with various magazines. Somehow I don't think Cat Fanciers would get the same reaction.

Borepatch said...

LOL. And the Russian dudes you're talking about is the FSB. It's the KGB with a new logo. Don't leave any electronics in your room there.

;-)

Old NFO said...

ROTF, you just LIKE stirring it up don't ya... :-) Travel safe!

Anonymous said...

Personally I'm disappointed that they didn't think you were a gynecologist....;-)

The Czar of Muscovy said...

I believe the Russian's equivalent for the NSA is Snowden, right now.