Friday, October 28, 2011

Still Alive...

Sorry for the light posting.
I'm up to my elbows in documentation...

As I sit here grinding away at pictures and data, I have the TV on in the background.
And since I can't stand talk shows, and have come to hate CNN, FoxNews, & the other "news" channels, I have been keeping AMC or FX on...
Being the Halloween season, there is a preponderance of slasher flicks on the tube. I Know What You Did Last Summer, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, Scream, Halloween  numbers 1 to 34, Friday the 13th, 14th and 15th... All the classics.

There is an interesting phenomenon in these movies that I believe the screenwriters lifted from the Hack Writer's Handbook...
They always say that if you come to a point in your story where you are stuck, just have a man burst into the room with a gun.


I'm not sure how well this would have worked if, say, Shakespeare had an issue while writing Hamlet, for instance...
LORD POLONIUS:
    Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
    Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
    Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
    But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
    For the apparel oft proclaims the man,
    And they in France of the best rank and station
    Are of a most select and generous chief in that.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.
    Farewell: my blessing season this in thee!

LAERTES:
    Most humbly do I take my leave, my lord.

    Enter: A Man with a blunderbus.

LORD POLONIUS:
   Zounds and gadzooks, tis an AK47!
   Complete with a clip of the banana style!...
So... It seems that in slasher movies, when you reach a point where no teenagers have been killed in 8 minutes, or no red herrings have been flung upon the audience in 6, two teenagers (but not the main characters) must break off from the group and have sex.

(I will spare you the Shakespearean example utilizing  Rozencrantz & Guilderstern as the teenagers in question.)

Ghad.

Damn shame I've run through all the episodes of Top Gear available on OnDemand...

Back to normal blogging soon.


TBG- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

1 comment:

kx59 said...

documentation..that sounds like loads of fun....snore...drool.