Sunday, September 12, 2010

Driving Music

You never know what will come pouring out of the old iPod when you have it playing for 3 days straight...

On the recent road trip a lot of old stuff that I hadn't heard in awhile bubbled to the surface...

A few lyric samples that I noted as I was moving down the slab...
(Lyrics after the fold)

Take another shot of courage
Wonder why the right words never come
You just get numb
It's another tequila sunrise,
this old world
still looks the same,
Another frame...
Eagles - Tequila Sunrise


...Oh sure the banner may be torn and the wind’s gotten colder
Perhaps I’ve grown a little cynical
But I know no matter what the waitress brings
I shall drink it and always be full
I'll drink it and always be full...
Blues Traveler - Run Around


Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our mind.
Wo! Have no fear for atomic energy,
'Cause none of them-a can-a stop-a the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look?
Yes, some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fulfil de book.
Won't you help to sing
Dese songs of freedom? -
'Cause all I ever had:
Redemption songs -
All I ever had:
Redemption songs:
These songs of freedom,
Songs of freedom.
Bob Marley - Redemption Song


It's just a Cuban crime of passion
Messy and old fashioned
Yeah, that's what the papers did say
It's just a Cuban crime of passion
Anejo and knives a slashin'
But that's what the people like to read about
Up in America, up in America.
Jimmy Buffett - Cuban Crime of Passion


It's so nice to meet an old friend and pass the time of day
And talk about the home town a million miles away
Is the ice still in the river, are the old folks still the same?
And by the way, did she mention my name?
Gordon Lightfoot - Did She Mention My Name


Well the coffee is strong
at the Cafe Du Monde,
And the donuts are too hot to touch;
But just like a fool, when those
sweet goodies cool, I eat 'til I eat way too much.
Cause I'm livin' on things that excite me,
Be they pastries or lobsters or love;
I'm just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy,
In a world full of pushin' and shove.
Jimmy Buffett - The Wino & I Know


But you know that when the truth is told
That you can get what you want
Or you an just get old
You're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through
When will you realize...
Vienna waits for you
Billy Joel - Vienna


Ceilin' fan stirs the air; Cigar smoke does swirl,
A fragrance on the pillow case
And he thinks about the girl.
Spillin' wine wine and sharin' good times
She sure could make him smile.
He pays her well but what the hell
He'll be movin' in a little while- Havana daydreamin',
Havana daydreamin'
Oh he'll be dreamin' his life away.
Jimmy Buffett - Havana Daydreamin'


Dark and silent late last night,
I think I might have heard the highway calling.
Geese in flight and dogs that bite.
And signs that might be omens say I'm going,
going, going to Carolina in my mind.
James Taylor - Carolina On My Mind


I met a Frenchman in a field last night
He was out there with an easel, painting carnival light
He said, "I used to paint the princess; I used to paint the frogs
Now I paint mustaches on dangerous dogs"
He said, "Sometimes it's a country; sometimes it's a girl
You know everybody's got to have a purpose in this world
You Yankees are so silly about matters of the heart
Don't you know that women are the only works of art?
Don Henley - Drivin' With Your Eyes Closed


Yeah, now the sun goes slidin' 'cross the water;
Sailboats, they go searchin' for the breeze.
Salt air it ain't thin,
It can stick right to your skin,
And make you feel fine.
It makes you feel fine.
Jimmy Buffett - Tin Cup Chalice


When Black Friday comes
I'll stand down by the door
And catch the grey men when they
Dive from the fourteenth floor
When Black Friday comes
I'll collect everything I'm owed
And before my friends find out
I'll be on the road
When Black Friday falls you know it's got to be
Don't let it fall on me
Steely Dan - Black Friday


Now I sit by my window and I watch the cars roll by
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day
But I would not be convicted by a jury of my peers
Still crazy after all these years
Still crazy, still crazy, still crazy after all these years
Simon & Garfunkle - Still Crazy After All These Years


Picking up the pieces of my sweet shattered dream
I wonder how the old folks are tonight
Her name was Ann and I'll be damned if I recall her face
She left me not knowing what to do...
Gordon Lightfoot - Carefree Highway


Well, it's been a year since she ran away - guess that guitar player sure could play
She always liked to sing along - she's always handy with a song
Then one night in the lobby of the Commodore Hotel
I chanced to meet a bartender who said he knew her well
And as he handed me a drink he began to hum a song
And all the boys there at the bar began to sing along
Little Feat - Dixie Chicken


The ones you never notice are the ones you have to watch.
She's pleasant and she's friendly while she's looking at your crotch.
Try your hand at conversation, gossip is a lie,
And sure enough she'll take you home and make you wanna die.
Crosby Stills & Nash - Fair Game


Anyone can see the road that they walk on
Is paved in gold
And it's always summer
They'll never get cold
They'll never get hungry
They'll never get old and grey
You can see their shadows wandering off somewhere
They won't make it home
But they really don't care
They wanted the highway
They're happier there today, today

Their children woke up
And they couldn't find them
They left before the sun came up that day
They just drove off and left it all behind 'em
But where were they going without ever
Knowing the way?
Fastball - The Way


Now the face that I see in my mirror
More and more is a stranger to me.
More and more I can see there’s a danger
In becoming what I never thought I’d be...
John Denver - Some Days Are Diamonds, Some Days Are Stones



TBG- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Memories.