Monday, October 22, 2007

China Games: Done. On to Hong Kong.

Basketball is over for the moment... On to bigger and better things!
Time to look at cutting-edge video wall products in Shenzhen China...




I'm in Hong Kong this week.

What fun. I haven't been here in several years.
Last time I was here I had a sweet young thing with me for a travel companion...

The Perfect Child and I came here in October of 2000. It was a blast.
I think she was 7 at the time. We did all the touristy stuff.
Dim Sum breakfast, rode the Worlds Longest Escalator, took the funicular to the lookout on Victoria Peak, wandered the Temple Street Night Market. All kinds of fun.

Now I'm back.

Getting here from Macao was different- I rode a Jet Hydro-Foil. Talk about a smooth, fast ride. 58 minutes from dock to dock, 48 miles.
As we left the harbor in Macao, the captain cranked up the speed and the foils lifted us up over the waves and it was smooth sailing all the way to Hong Kong Harbor.
I was amazed.

The Foil Cat from Macao to Hong Kong


Another FoilCat on it's way back to Macao.
It looks like the hulls are about 4 feet above the wave tops.


Another single-hull JetFoil. They travel about 50MPH.

There are other boats out and about in the waters between Macao and Hong Kong...


I thought this might be a cool cargo boat, but upon closer inspection it seems to be a long-liner on it's way out to cut a swath of indiscriminate death and destruction in the South China Sea. That support tower and the long outrigger boom on the side are the identifying marks.


Hong Kong Shore Patrol.
Be good, or be gone.

Tomorrow I have a meeting with video wall company to have a peek at some new products and to evaluate their facilities and work processes.
It factory is in ShenZhen, northwest of Hong Kong, so at 6:00 I'll be hitting the subway from Wanchai to Admiralty, all change for Tsim Sha Tsui, walk to the China Ferry Terminal, then go through China Immigrations and take another ferry to Shekou, where they nice folks from AOTO will (in theory) pick me up and take me to their facility.


Somewhere, waaay off in the smog, behind all those ships and the unfinished bridge is Shekou and Shenzhen.

I shall endeavor to look serious, nod thoughtfully, make important-sounding noises and generally try to act like I know a little something about video wall components.

We'll see how it all works out. The company I am going to see has some great products to show, and I'm excited to see their new 6mm and rental products.

Watch this space. Film at 11.

TBG out-

No comments: